The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), the government agency that is tasked to deal with overseas employment of Filipinos, has prepared a checklist that can be used by Pinoys and Pinays when they plan to work abroad.
POEA called this as “Working Abroad Preparation Checklist”. This checklist contains a total of 21 steps, which should be followed by Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW). It was prepared jointly by POEA and the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
The steps outlined in the checklist are the following:
1. Attend Pre-Employment Orientation Seminar (PEOS).
2. Inquire about working outside of the country from experienced people.
3. Make sure that you have enough money.
4. Prepare your resume or bio-data.
5. Prepare original copy of necessary documents.
6. Visit the POEA for more information.
7. Search for job vacancies. You can do this by checking POEA's job order list. Know more about it by reading this article.
8. Verify the legitimacy of recruitment agency and job order by inquiring with POEA. Learn how to use the POEA's list of accredited agencies by reading this article.
9. Apply for your desired job.
10. Attend POEA's briefing and screening procedures.
11. Take the necessary exams and interviews.
12. Submit your documents to POEA or recruitment agency.
13. Have a medical examination.
14. Attend TESDA training or seminar, if required.
15. Sign the employment contract.
16. Pay the placement fee.
17. Apply for a work visa.
18. Attend the Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS)
19. Make sure that you have all the important documents before leaving the country.
20. Take note of the contact information of government agencies and other people that you might need to contact during your work abroad.
21. Prepare your baggage all the things that you need outside of the country.
Check the images below to see the whole checklist:
You can download POEA's checklist from this page of the POEA website.
For more information, please call POEA at telephone number 722-1144 and 722-1155. You can also email POEA at this address: email@example.com. Please visit the agency's website.
Do you have question about POEA's procedures? Tell us your question by leaving a comment.